Where does Medicare fit in?
We don’t want to bore you with the entire list of what Medicare does and doesn’t cover, but below gives you an idea of some of the things to get a better understanding:
Medicare does cover things like…
- Public hospital treatment
- Free or subsidised treatment from doctors and specialists
- Tests that are necessary to treat illnesses or injuries: x-rays, pathology tests, etc.
- Some dental surgeries
- Vision tests
- Most surgeries performed by a doctor
- Some therapies performed by doctors
- Discounts on certain prescription medications through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
Medicare doesn’t cover things like…
- Cosmetic surgeries
- Hearing aids
- Home nurses
- Glasses and contact lenses
- Ambulance services
- Dental exams and other dental treatments
- Most elective therapies
While Medicare covers key fundamentals, there are some things over and above these basics these that may be appropriate for some people, depending on their individual circumstances.
You can check out our broad range and our different levels of covers here on the site, or else give us a call.